Tuesday, January 26, 2010

Lots to say about nothing

Well, it's only Tuesday and I feel like so much has been accomplished this week. Yesterday was a busy day for us. I started my preschool program and yesterday was the first day. That kept me quite busy for several hours, but was fun. I am very excited to begin teaching the kids sign language. I am going to start with finger-spelling, colors, animals, actions, and relationships. Poor Creighton choked on some food yesterday and I had to give him the Heimlich. I have never had to use the actual Heimlich maneuver on anyone, especially a child. I have had to do it to an infant (not mine or one that was in my care, I was just a by-stander that knew the Heimlich and an infant choked on a piece of plastic) so I just used the back thrusts and it came up. I tried that with Creighton, but it didn't work and so I had to do it the same as I would for an adult. I was surprised at how hard I had to do it. He was very scared and shaking. Poor baby. One Easter, Chad had to do the Heimlich maneuver on his 75 year old grandma. I was very impressed by how fast and easily he reacted. As if that wasn't enough, Cort has been dealing with a stomach virus for a couple days and in the middle of the night, I heard him vomiting in his bed. Chad and I both ran in there and he was literally vomiting straight up in the air and it came back down on him. I flipped him to his side quickly until he was done. Then, we had to change his clothes and bedding. After that, we were both pretty much awake (it happened at 3:30am). Chad has a few more tests to take for his architecture license, so he just studied and I watched The Bachelor. As most of our family and friends know, Chads job is very slow. He does health care architecture and his job is to design private offices for Dr's. They do a lot of outpatient surgical centers. Well, with the proposed health care reform bill in limbo, Dr's have not wanted to sign any contracts to build. The reason, from what I understand, is that the reform bill will no longer allow these centers to be licensed as hospitals and perform surgeries. Of course, this bill is a big mess and will most likely be abandoned and re-drafted. We were all so excited to see Mass. elect a republican senator and let's not deny that fact that he is very, very attractive. Anyways, we may end up moving back to Omaha as a result of the decline in business. We are crossing our fingers that business picks up within 6 months at the firm, but if not, we may have to sell our house here and look in the big O. We would be very disappointed to leave such an amazing city with the best weather ever! However, Omaha has some perks too. For the price we pay to live in Denver, we could build a gorgeous house in Omaha or buy a newer build on a lake or golf course. The cost of living in Denver is more than twice that of Omaha. Still, if we could choose, we would stay in Colorado. We may also end up putting off baby #4. We were planning to start trying in May, but if business is still this slow, we will probably wait until Feb. of next year. I am really hoping to be able to start trying in May. I can't wait until I don't have to be pregnant anymore and can get back into shape and into my old clothes. Speaking of that, we just bought the P90X system. Chad's cousin had amazing results with it and we thought that was something we would like to try out. I am very excited to see Chad get back into shape. He is such a handsome guy and so muscular from playing hockey, but he has a bit of a tummy on him now :) We are also looking to buy a treadmill. We don't want to spend too much, so we are seeing what is available on craigslist first. We have a home gym system, but our basement is pretty big (a little over 1000 sq. ft) and we would like to eventually add a workout room in the basement. Of course there is also a living room, bathroom, and bedroom, but there should be plenty of space for a nice workout area. I really can't wait for the summer to be here. I am looking foward to grilling out, bike rides (if I am not pregnant) and all the fun the great Colorado summers bring. I can't complain about the weather though. It has been in the high 40's, 50's, and even the 60's for nearly the entire winter. I don't think we have worn our coats more than twice and that was back in November. I love it here!

1 comment:

  1. I love your comments regarding signing with young children. It's great that you are teaching sign to the kiddies in your care!

    Every parent should sign with their baby! Remember to sign the word as you say it and to use keys American Sign Language signs to narrate your child’s world! Keep on sharing! Sara Bingham, WeeHands Founder and author of The Baby Signing Book

    ReplyDelete